Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Introductions

Having not previously studied the question of whether we live in an Information Society to much extent, I was grateful to see via the introductions, that this text will provide a strong historical context to the various theories that are going to be presented, and I'm looking forward to diving further into the readings to learn more about the topic.

One theme that was particularly interesting to me from the introduction that will be carried throughout the reader was that of the conflicting views on the balance between the individual ("human capital") and pure information. The argument made by some is that technology is the "driver of change" (p. 10), which I mostly agree with, but still hold some reservations about. To some extent, I feel like I'm coming into this course with a bit of a bias -- that technology can be useless unless accompanied by a human mind that can digest or navigate it, but I want to hear more of the other side through what is presented in the text, because I don't feel particularly well-read on the subject.

Bon voyage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home